Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Movin' to the Country

With one phone call, we know that we are probably moving homes on or about July 15th. We are getting really psyched, and will book a moving company this week so that we get some boxes delivered to begin packing. I am going to do it all myself: curtains, dishes, clothes, hanging lamps, etc. In Italy, unlike in the USA, homeowners take everything including light bulbs. It is common to move into a home requiring a new kitchen and bathroom fixtures (I am talking toilets and bathtubs here) than to have them in place. We agreed to leave all that in our house, though we will take some of our light fixtures - a traditional Venetian hanging light, some sconces we bought on our trip through Sicily (Caltagirone - famous for ceramics), and a couple of our favorite smaller ones. Fortunately, our new house will be mostly furnished in the sense that the only things we have to buy are a dishwasher and a washing machine (dryers are becomming more common, but for the most part Italians line dry and I will have a clothesline, finally! No more laundry on the balcony rail.) and of course some bits and pieces of furniture. At this point in life, I would like to minimize purchasing as that just feels like more of a burden than anything else.

Ray is telling his friends how happy he is to move too - which is a relief as I think we are doing this just in time. If we had waited even another year or two he would have put up more of a fight, I think, but the promise of a new cat and another hamster, and a tent along with a plastic pool seems to do the trick for now.

Plan to visit!


And there are some things I will miss about the city, but I think there will be other scapes to distract me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ciao Christine,

I saw your post on iwfbolognachat about a family of two looking for an apartment, how can I contact you?

Ciao,

Eleonora