Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dog loving and goings on

I haven't had a dog now for almost 6 years - after a lifetime of no less than two dogs at any one time. I hope that one day we will be in a home where I can manage one (or two).

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/life-lessons-from-the-family-dog/?em

Andrea returns home on Monday after almost two weeks in the US. He has been a shopaholic - picking up odds and ends (q-tips, vanilla extract, bisquick, shampoos, Spiderman books in English) that are not available here. Fortunately, he took a soft suitcase inside his larger one and can stuff it since the international flights allow two bags. Two years ago the US postal service eliminated freight shipping and everything has to mailed first-class, so the care packages from family have dropped off as the shipping often costs more than the contents.

It has been tough getting Ray to school in the mornings so that I can be at work by 8:30. Especially since it rained (pouring, torrential, non-stopping) for nine days in a row. But I have to admit it was nice to hog all of his attention and needs to myself.

We pick up the Honda on Tuesday and then take off for Vienna through Easter. Unfortunately, Andrea's mother who has had her house for sale this past year just got an offer that has to be considered and she is talking about buying a small apartment in Bologna. Fortunately, we will have a lot of time to talk on our seven hour road trip to Austria. Her living nearby would be nice for Ray and she isn't the typical Italian mother-in-law. She is pretty hands-off but in any case, the obligations become greater. At the moment, she lives an hour away and we see her maybe twice a month.

Happy Easter to all: I hope the spring offers you a light heart and warm sunshine.

2 comments:

paula said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip! I'll talk to you when you get back...
lovelove
(mom is here bending christine's ear about everything from meeting daddy to the "rich girls" school she went to in Japan. tomorrow we go to IKEA where I'm sure I'll fill my van with unnecessary purchases!) Kiss Ary and Andrea, and consider yourself hugged!

Anonymous said...

He Chris, i've been checking your blog frequently lately, as I never get to talk to you anymore..glad all is well, and have a great trip...looking forward to a fun summer with you and ray in Montana...xopatty