Friday, June 12, 2009

June in the Middle

I realized today that I have been writing on this blog just over a year. In many ways, it feels almost ridiculous to throw out in cyberspace such mundane information about one's life. On the other hand, it has kept family and friends up to date and saves a lot of "touching base" even to just make certain I am still alive and well. So if you can put up with me, I will continue to write and you have no obligation to read (when Paula and Susan stop posting comments, I know it is time to drop the curtain).

Ray continues to be Spiderman (can you spot him at this recent birthday party?), Andrea is in Rome at the moment attending a conference, and I am winding down the school year at the International School. Andrea and I have been toying with the idea of really buying the ruin, and I am really hoping we will move forward on it before I leave for the US. Mortgage rates are historically low now and there doesn't seem to be a good reason not to go for it. I think I want it badly enough for both of us at this point, and had the nerve to finally show Andrea all my sketches of the floor plan including furniture (and even sink taps) as well as the garden layout. Imagining having this place has helped me cope with living in a small space in Bologna where I can't invite those closest to me to stay, and this house will give me that option. In addition, I will get a lot of exercise working in the terra surrounding it, and hopefully get rid of my new flabby, flapping upper arms. But again, we shall have to see. (Are you sick of this topic?)

My US trip is coming up quickly. Can't wait to see everyone. A visit to the city, the Hooks and others are lined up. Can we swing a PU reunion on the 10th, Suziq?

Pietro Frassica came to Bologna from Princeton to attend a conference in Italian studies, and we stopped at his hotel to see him. He was Andrea's best man at our wedding, and he is doing very well. You can tell that Ray had just received a gift from him.

6 comments:

Teens said...

I just read OUT LOUD this entry to mom who is sitting here smiling (oops... she just dozed off!) at your words. Woke up and said enough to make a one sentence comment. She's closing those eyes again...
I do hope all will work out. It will be a tremendous amount of work, but that is something you have experienced in the past! How exciting!! Flabby arms notwithstanding, I do believe you are in better shape than most of us almost-50 year olds! Can't wait to see you, and look forward having you see your "grown up" nieces!

Teens said...

it's paula... who the heck is teens? :-)

suziq said...

Howdy-
I’ve been crazed here—one final event, so I missed the date of June 10 on your blog.
I’m sure we can work it out. I wouldn’t miss seeing you and your little fella for anything !
The house sounds so exciting—but to quote Kenny Chesney, remember to never forget that living in the now is really the best of times !! (yes, Meri turned me on to country music – hee haw !!)

“You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this”

Safe travels kiddo-
Can’t wait to see you !
Susan

suziq said...

PS-- I should have added--
please dont discontinue your blog.
I love hearing about your adventures.
Angela is grilling me on exactly where your country home is located.
How am I to know that Emilia-Romagna is a huge region (just north of where she is from) ??? I'm getting out my belt sander !!!

paula said...

Chris,
We all are so sad that your dream home became a reality to someone else. I'm sure the new owners dwelled on it for a long time like you have, and will do it justice in it's renovation. Please don't think that there isn't any place else in those beautiful hills that would love to have you live there. Get on that scooter and travel those roads... you might be surprised and come across a little gem awaiting your discovery!

Christine Ricci said...

thanks for your support. Now I am just looking forward to the visit to the US and reconnecting with family and friends.

SuziQ, the area is a hair north of the Tuscany border - south of Faenza.
xxooxox